Exploring Mac's Abacus Basic workbook
“Example Lessons” have Orange Borders.
Starts with Making Bead Patterns
Main Workbook Features
- Counting begins new pic above with simply matching loose Beads to same-color Beads of the Abacus Rows.
- First 14 Lessons are full size (1/page) so your child can place the Abacus over the picture.
- Lessons 15 to 300 are presented 3 to a page (but shown 6 per page in the Teaching Guide).
- Counts range from 1 to 5 in the first 21 Lessons, gradually increasing thereafter.
- Objects are often clustered (pic above) to build the skill of Thinking in Groups (i.e. “3 at-a time”).
- Numerical Digits are first presented in Lesson 33 (pic above) by using Playing Cards. Finger Counts (pic above) follow.
- Concept of Zero is presented 3 ways: Subtraction Poster, Missing Parts (pic above) and using Special Dice.
- Formal Addition (using +) is first presented by using pairs of Dice (pic above)
- Other concepts presented: Length (pic above) and Time. Subtraction is introduced by blocking out objects.
- The second half of the workbook develops the Decimal System (place value) and uses this to teach counting Money (coins then bills). Pictures or real coins and bills are used.