Sweet Rhubarb Sauce
Rhubarb Sauce is a delicious, sweet sauce for eating separately of over ice cream. It is very easy to make and is also good mixed with Strawberry Jell-O. For those who normally don’t like rhubarb, I suggest you try this sweet sauce.
Pick about 20 stalks Rhubarb and cut off all leaves (the leaves can be chopped and dumped into your compost pile or buried in your garden). Rinse the stalks, using a small brush (toothbrush?) to knock off particles (Never eat the leaves as they contain the toxin oxcilac acid).
- Stack and Cut the stalks into about 3/8 inch segments. Count the cups and dump them into a 2-quart sauce pan.
- For 5 Cups diced Rhubarb in a sauce pan:
• Add 1 cup granulated sugar (or 1/2 cup sugar with 1/4 cup honey).
• Add 1/2 cup water. If adding Jell-O, use a full cup of water.
• Bring to a boil at low heat, stirring occasionally to distribute the heat. Once boiling, stir and wait 2 or 3 minutes before removing the heat.
• Optionally add a 2.7 oz. packet of Jell-O. Stir until dissolved.
• Pour into a lidded bowl (makes about 30 oz.), let cool a few hours and store in the refrigerator.