Cooked Beet Greens
Optionally, with Potato Flakes and Cheese:
- Pour about a fourth-cup of olive oil into a dry pot (size 2 or more quarts) and swirl until it covers the pan bottom.
- When you pick beets, also cut and rinse the leaves (no stems).
- Stack them and cut them into bite size pieces and add to your pan.
- Add about a half-tablespoon of Lemon Juice for each inch (uncooked) of greens in the pan.
- Add about an ounce of butter.
- Optionally add a pinch of salt.
- Add a few tablespoons of water. Cover and simmer until soft (a few minutes).
- Now add some water to just about cover the greens. Cover and simmer until soft (about 20 minutes).
- Once soft, optionally add a slice or two of Velveeta (or American) Cheese. Cover again. When cheese is melted, stir and remove from heat.
- Add just enough Potato Flakes (giving time for the flakes to swell) to absorb most of the liquid.
- Your Beet Greens are ready to serve.